Category Archives: Wordpress
“Emotional Sobriety: Becoming Friends & Lovers” (kathyberman.com) is the blog I started in Nov. 2004. After writing daily for 10-12 hours for several years, I came to believe that the blog had too much information. So I began reorganizing my thoughts and ideas into separate, one-main-theme blogs. So was born my blog empire. I imagine I have over 50 blogs now. Many of them I have deserted. Staying focused is critical to developing a blog empire.
WordPress and blogger are quickly picked up by Google. Actually blogger is owned by Google. I’m going to list what I like about each:
1. WordPress.com has great widgets to add to the site. Although you can’t sell anything on wordpress.com nor put any ads on it, it is a great marketing tool for your other interests or blogs because you can link to other blogs or link back to your other blogs. I have set these patterns of linking back up in my wordpress.com sites I am using for Coral Cay Blogs to show how to use wordpress.com.
2. Blogger is also easy to use but there are no categories when I started so information was difficult to catalog. But you can sell your products and/or add AdSense or other ads.
3. WordPress.org has to be done by a professional programmer and I use a great guy to set up and or change my main site at kathyberman.com. I developed a separate blog in many of the WordPress themes to show a quick overview of the different themes (see Coral Cay Blogs list. The choices of themes, addons, plugins, widgets are endless. The photos at the top of my six blogs I chose from Flickr and they change as you move from page to page.
This level of blogging with having to choose your own web host should only be taken when you are completely comfortable because you don’t have the control. Choosing programmers and domain names and add-on blogs or sub-blogs can be daunting. At least it was for me and took me 3 years of blogging. Also while wordpress.com is free, wordpress.org costs money.because you have to hire your own host and programmers to help you if you can’t code. My original blog I built in blogware but WordPress is vastly superior.
1. Setting up blogs in WordPress. com is free. But you can’t use the domain name of your choice. Your blog’s url will be namechosen.wordpress.com. For example, this blog’s url is blogempire.wordpress.com.
If you want to use the domain name of your choice, you have to use wordpress. org and pay to have your blog hosted. While the cost of hosting these blogs is nominal, setting them up isn’t easy and requires someone who is a programmer. I am not a programmer but I use a great guy who lives in India. He isn’t able to give you a quote until after you have emailed him about your requirements. I will forward your requests to him in the beginning. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2. To set up your blog, go to wordpress.com. Sign up and remember the username you choose is permanent. You can have man blogs with this username. But one email address can only be used once with each username.
3. I always recommend having a notebook that you keep all your blog details in. Be sure to write down your username and password.
4. After you have your blog set up, you will be on the dashboard. This the place where you will choose everything for your blog. The first thing I do when I am starting a new blog, is to go down on the left-hand column and choose appearance. This is where you will the theme for how your blog will look.
5. To help you and give you ideas for your blog theme, I took some of my wordpress.com blogs and put a different theme on each so that you could get an overview of some of the themes. Click on heading or page Coral Cay Blogs List. (In case you didn’t know when the type online changes color that means you can click there for a direct link to whatever page it is linked to.)
6. After you have chosen a theme, you can begin to write about anything you choose. Click on new post, write it, and then publish it. You now have a blog!
8. The best way to learn about your blog is to practice and you will learn that blogging is very easy.